Exception as the primary error handling mechanism?

r0g aioe.org at technicalbloke.com
Wed Jan 6 17:36:41 EST 2010

Ben Finney wrote:
> r0g <aioe.org at technicalbloke.com> writes:
>
>> NO! It's a rude way to start a sentence don't you think?
>
> Shouting is usually rude, yes.
>
>> Just because you're correcting someone doesn't mean you have to be
>> combative and try and make them feel small.
>
> Again, you're reading something that isn't there. I utterly deny the
> motives you're imputing.
>
>> I can't imagine why I expect good manners on usenet though, AFAICT
>> it's never been like that (well not since I got on it anyway).
>
> I'll reiterate that you can address this by paying more attention to
> what is actually written, and endeavouring to avoid finding emotions or
> motives that are likely not in the message.

Both you and Steve are routinely harsh is all I'm saying, although he's
worse than you.

I'm sure you're both very good programmers who don't have the time to
tread carefully around those who come in, often under prepared, seeking
advice. Fair enough you don't tolerate fools lightly, I can respect that
(within reason) and you contribute a lot to the group so you're perhaps
owed a bit more slack than your average Joe but... There's a difference
between that and repeatedly seeking out reasons to stick your boot in -
and to my mind you seem to do that.

Maybe it's just me, but have you considered that maybe it's not?... Most
of the time when I see an extremely blunt, overly harsh response to a
question on here I know if I glance up to the name field I'll find one
of your names there (as I say, probably Steve more often that yourself).
I'm sure you think I'm making this up but many passive aggressive don't
realise how they're acting - can't see the wood for the trees and all that.

Anyway I'm going to butt out now, I'm sure everyone is getting
thoroughly bored of the OT noise.

Roger