Python interactive terminal in Ubuntu Linux : some keys fouled up

pdlemper at earthlink.net pdlemper at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 6 17:40:09 EST 2010

Have recently moved from XP to Ubuntu Linux.
Successfully installed Python 3.1.1 in the Ubuntu 9.04
release on my desktop.
Problem is the python interactive terminal  >>> .
Many of the keys now do not work.
eg pressing left-arrow yields  ^[[D
                    right-arrow         ^[[C
                    Home                  ^[OH
                    Del                      ^[[3~
                    up-arrow            ^[[A

Frustrating as I use all these , esp  up-arrow to
repeat recent lines.  Found the same thing on
my sons MacBook.

This is not mentioned in two recent Python books
or one on Ubuntu. Nor could I found help on the www.

Is there any work-around  ?  Should I just forget
the python prompt >>>   ?

Thanks,             Dave        pdlemper at earthlink.net