File transfer with python

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 19:40:46 EST 2010

Valentin de Pablo Fouce <thi... at gmail.com> wrote:
> My intention is to be able to transfer files from one computer to
> another in this environment.
>
> Looking (and surfing) at internet the only suggestion given is to use
> low level sockets for this file transfer. Is there another way to do
> it, is there any top level library that helps you to do that?

If your computers are distributed across many networks, and they all
have internet access, Richard Jones' GmailFS[1] might give you some
ideas. It uses the Python bindings for FUSE to create a local
filestore that's a wrapper around the Gmail API, stashing the actual
data on Google's servers. It's out of date now, but it shouldn't be
much of an effort to update to the latest Gmail API, or to replace
with any other backend data store you like. Google App Engine[2]
provides a hefty amount of free storage to developers, so that's
another option.

1: http://richard.jones.name/google-hacks/gmail-filesystem/gmail-filesystem.html
2: http://code.google.com/appengine/