Astronomy--Programs to Compute Siderial Time?

W. eWatson wolftracks at
Thu Jan 7 02:43:10 CET 2010

Roy Smith wrote:
> In article <hi2o39$hm0$1 at>,
>  "W. eWatson" <wolftracks at> wrote:
>> Is there a smallish Python library of basic astronomical functions?
>> There are a number of large such libraries that are crammed with
>> excessive functions not needed for common calculations.
> FWIW, if you have any interest in this kind of stuff, you must read the
> classic book on the subject:
> 6220
> This is not some textbook which takes graduate level physics to understand.
> It's a straight-forward primer for people who want to use calculators to
> compute phase of the moon and stuff like that.
Thanks, but I'm quite familiar with it. My copy is some 10-15 years old.
  I suspect he never wrote a newer edition for any computer language. I
do have access to a C++ library, but I don't think that's going to do me
much good with Python.

My problem at the moment is finding either someone who has implemented
it or another similar module.

Note I posted just before you that I have found a module,
but am not familiar with how one installs them or the doc mechanism.