How to reduce the memory size of python

Steve Holden steve at
Thu Jan 7 08:49:39 CET 2010

Mishra Gopal-QBX634 wrote:
> Hi,
> When i write following pyhon program and execute it in linux machine,
> if __name__=='__main__':
>     while True:
>           pass
> When i check the VmRSS size, it shows 2956 KB in size.
> Is there any way to reduce the memory size taken by python.
> I am working in flash memory devices.
> Any suggession is highly helpfull to me.
It would not be easy to reduce the size of the standard interpreter, but
there are various implementations for embedded devices. You may get some
help from

A company called Synapse has a working cut-down Python implementation
that they embed in their 802.15 wireless mesh devices, which IIRC
occupies less than 128K.

There is a lot in the standard interpreter that you won't need - many
embedded systems don't need floating point arithmetic, for example.

PyCon is coming! Atlanta, Feb 2010
Holden Web LLC