Recommended "new" way for config files

Jean-Michel Pichavant jeanmichel at sequans.com
Thu Jan 7 11:32:32 EST 2010

Peter wrote:
> Hi
> There seems to be several strategies to enhance the old ini-style
> config files with real python code, for example:
>
> 1) the documentation tool sphinx uses a python file conf.py that is
> exefile(d) , but execfile is suppressed in Python 3
> 2) there is a module cfgparse on sourceforge that supports a hybrid style
> 3) modern tools like ipython seems to favor a new style based on
> python code config files but also support a hybrid style mixing .ini
> files and python code files.
> 4) I could use __import__ to import modules based on some command line
> options
>

> Is there a strategy that should be prefered for new projects ?
>
> thanks
> peter
I would add the standard module ConfigParser
http://docs.python.org/library/configparser.html to your list.
I don't know exactly what you intend to do with point 4/, but I would
exclude it if any other point may fit. Imports can become tricky when
used out of the common way. Anyway, hacking the import statement for
managing configuration files does not sound very appropriate.

The .ini file is the simpliest solution, at least from the user point of
view, no need to learn any python syntax.
However, speeking for myself, I am using python coded configuration
files, but: we all worship python in the team and thus are familiar with
it.

JM