How do I access what's in this module?

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Thu Jan 7 23:01:00 EST 2010

On Jan 8, 2:45 pm, Fencer <no.i.d... at want.mail.from.spammers.com>
wrote:
> On 2010-01-08 04:40, John Machin wrote:
>

> >> For example:
> >>   >>>  from lxml.etree import ElementTree
> >>   >>>  ElementTree.dump(None)
> >> Traceback (most recent call last):
> >>     File "<console>", line 1, in<module>
>
> > lxml.etree is a module. ElementTree is effectively a class. The error
> > message that you omitted to show us might have given you a clue.
>
> But I did show the error message? It's just above what you just wrote. I
> try to include all relevant information in my posts.

<excerpt>
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<console>", line 1, in <module>

Also, can I access those items ...
</excerpt>

Error message should appear after line starting with "File". Above
excerpt taken from google groups; identical to what shows in
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.general ... what are you
looking at?

With Windows XP and Python 2.5.4 I get:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
AttributeError: 'builtin_function_or_method' object has no attribute
'dump'

> It turns out I no longer want to access anything in there but I thank
> you for your information nontheless.

You're welcome -- the advice on _methods is portable :-)