Scripting (was Re: Python books, literature etc)

Jorgen Grahn grahn+nntp at snipabacken.se
Fri Jan 8 09:37:07 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-01-07, Peter wrote:

> [...] depending on your
> application domain, I liked:
>
> 1) Hans Petter Langtangen: Python Scripting for Computational Science
> A truly excellent book, not only with respect to Python Scripting , but
> also on how to avoid paying  license fees by using opensource tools as
> an engineer ( plotting, graphing, gui dev etc ). Very good , pratical
> introduction to Python with careful and non-trivial examples and exercises.

Sounds good.

Regarding the book's title: is it just me, or are Python programmers
in general put off when people call it "scripting"?

I won't attempt a strict definition of the term "scripting language",
but it seems like non-programmers use it to mean "less scary than what
you might think of as programming", while programmers interpret it as
"not useful as a general-purpose language".

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@  Oo  o.   .  .
\X/     snipabacken.se>   O  o   .