getfirst and re

Victor Subervi victorsubervi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 14:09:04 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Jean-Michel Pichavant <
jeanmichel at sequans.com> wrote:

> Victor Subervi wrote:
>
>  On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com<mailto:
>> steve at holdenweb.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    MRAB wrote:
>>    > Victor Subervi wrote:
>>    > [snip]
>>    >>
>>    >> Code snippet:
>>    >>
>>    >> def cgiFieldStorageToDict(fieldStorage):
>>                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>    Further hint ...
>>
>>    >>   params = {}
>>    >>   for key in fieldStorage.keys():
>>    >>     params[key] = cgi.FieldStorage[key].value
>>    >                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>    > This is your problem.
>>

>> The problem is that I don't understand this code that I exactly copied
>> from a Web page tutorial. Can you folks point me to tutorials where I can
>> learn to comprehend this code? Specifically, the line in question. How is it
>> that one can code "params[key]" (what does that mean?) and the other side,
>> what does that mean
>>
> I think you are gathering more fans Victor :)
>
> http://docs.python.org/tutorial/datastructures.html#dictionaries

This still isn't telling me what I need to know. Perhaps I'm missing the
point, as in the recent case with putting the "print cookie" statement in
the header. I am assuming (translation: making an a$$ out of you and me)
that "params[key] automatically assigns the fieldStorage key to the newly
created params key in the dict of the same, and assigning the value from the
cgi.FieldStorage of that key to the params value. Is that correct?
TIA,
beno