Standardized interpreter speed evaluation tool

Steve Holden steve at
Sat Jan 9 13:50:48 CET 2010

Chris Rebert wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 2:25 AM, alexru <taradov at> wrote:
>> Is there any standardized interpreter speed evaluation tool? Say I
>> made few changes in interpreter code and want to know if those changes
>> made python any better, which test should I use?
> Although apparently undocumented, test.pystone is some sort of
> interpreter benchmark.
It's undocumented because it's not considered a representative
benchmark.Sure, you can use it to get *some* idea of relative
performance, but a single program is a very poor tool for such a complex
topic a comparing implementations of a dynamic language.

PyCon is coming! Atlanta, Feb 2010
Holden Web LLC