Bugs in CPython 3.1.1 [wave.py]

Alf P. Steinbach alfps at start.no
Tue Jan 12 08:33:05 EST 2010

* Stefan Behnel:
> Alf P. Steinbach, 12.01.2010 13:10:
>> * Stefan Behnel:
>>> Maybe you should just stop using the module. Writing the code
>>> yourself is certainly going to be faster than reporting that bug,
>>> don't you think?
>>
>> It's part of the standard Python distribution.
>>
>> Don't you think bugs in the standard library should be fixed?
>
> Sure. I was just emphasizing the fact that it might be a larger
> contribution to write such a module in the first place than to fix a bug
> in it.

I'm not interested in credits.

But regarding contributions to the programming community I've done my share,
including writings and moderating [comp.lang.c++.moderated]. I do not feel I've
done too little and I almost take offense at that suggestion.

> The mere fact that the existing module seems valuable enough for
> you to want to use it suggests that the effort that you are putting into
> getting your bug fixed in the mainline distribution is worth it.

Well, this is for my Python (actually, beginning programmer) writings, at

   http://tinyurl.com/programmingbookP3

(I hope I spelled that right), which is why it "has" to use standard library
functionality only, and why implementing the thing from scratch is not an option
  --  otherwise, if this was something I needed, I'd probably do that.

It's just to have a concrete real world example of modular arithmetic and two's
complement representation.

The example code looks like this, so far  --  might of course be of help to
others :-)

<code file="simple_wave.py">
"Lets you generate simple mono (single-channel) [.wav] files."
import wave
import array
import math

default_sample_rate     = 44100             # Usual CD quality.

def sample_square( freq, t ):
     linear = freq*t % 1.0
     if linear < 0.5:
         return -1.0
     else:
         return 1.0

def sample_sawtooth( freq, t ):
     linear = freq*t % 1.0
     if linear < 0.5:
         return 4.0*linear - 1.0
     else:
         return 3.0 - 4.0*linear

def sample_sine( freq, t ):
     return math.sin( 2*math.pi*freq*t )

def _append_int_to( a, i ):
     if i < 0:
         i = i + 65536
     assert( 0 <= i < 65536 )
     a.append( i % 256 )
     a.append( i // 256 )

class Writer:
     "Writes samples to a specified [.wav] file"
     def __init__( self, filename, sample_rate = default_sample_rate ):
         self._sample_rate = sample_rate
         self._writer = wave.open( filename, "w" )
         self._writer.setnchannels( 1 )
         self._writer.setsampwidth( 2 )          # 2 bytes = 16 bits
         self._writer.setframerate( sample_rate )
         self._samples = []

     def sample_rate( self ):
         return self._sample_rate

     def write( self, normalized_sample ):
         assert( -1 <= normalized_sample <= +1 )
         self._samples.append( normalized_sample )

     def close( self ):
         data = array.array( "B" )               # B -> unsigned bytes.
         for sample in self._samples:
             level = round( 32767*sample )
             _append_int_to( data, level )
         self._writer.setnframes( len( self._samples ) )
         self._writer.writeframes( data )
         self._writer.close()
</code>

<code file="ringtone.py">
import simple_wave

sample_rate = simple_wave.default_sample_rate
total_time  = 2
n_samples   = sample_rate*total_time

writer = simple_wave.Writer( "test.wav" )
for i in range( n_samples ):
     t = i/sample_rate
     samples = (
         simple_wave.sample_sine( 440, t ),
         simple_wave.sample_sawtooth( (3/2)*440, t ),
         )
     sample = sum( samples )/len( samples )
     writer.write( sample )
writer.close()