A question about Python versions

Chris Rebert clp2 at rebertia.com
Wed Jan 13 01:56:08 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:09 PM, Gib Bogle
<g.bogle at auckland.no.spam.ac.nz> wrote:
> I am learning Python, and using PyQt to develop a GUI that will be used to
> run a Fortran program on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X (I think Python is
> great, btw). Without thinking about it I downloaded and started working with
> a fairly recent Python version, 2.5.4.  I've now become aware of the
> existence of Python 3.1, which apparently is a major revision of the
> language.  Does it make sense to stick with Python 2.x at this point, or
> should I be starting off with 3.1?

This is an FAQ, so you can search the archives for many other
besides PyQt, you should probably use 2.x as most libraries have yet
to be ported to 3.x yet (luckily, PyQt apparently has been ported
already). If your program will be pretty self-sufficient, Python 3 is
definitely an option and will be nicer to use thanks to the
improvements to the language, but most of the changes (aside from
strings becoming Unicode) aren't dramatic; it is clearly still the
same language (unlike Perl 5 -> Perl 6).

> If it is recommended to stick with
> version 2, should I use the latest (2.6.4 or 2.7), and if so why?  Thanks.

The latest stable one, 2.6.4 (2.7 is a preview release); there's no
reason not to, and newer versions have more features, bugfixes, etc.
Though you should double-check the compatibility of any libraries
you'll be using of course.

Cheers,
Chris
--