Bugs in CPython 3.1.1 [wave.py]

Wed Jan 13 03:44:53 EST 2010

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 09:34:55 +0100, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:

> * Steven D'Aprano:
>>
>> Nobody is trying to understate the complexity of writing a large
>> application that supports both 2.6 and 3.x, or of taking an existing
>> library written for 2.5 and upgrading it to support 3.1. But the
>> magnitude of these tasks is no greater (and potentially smaller) than
>> supporting (say) 2.3 through 2.5. To describe it as "hopeless" is
>> simply mistaken and weakens your credibility.
>
> It seems that people here put a lot of meaning into "hopeless"...

Only the dictionary meaning.

> Would it be better to say that it's "hard" or "very hard" or
> "impractical for the novice"?

I don't even know why you feel the need to discuss 2.x in a book that's
about 3.x.

But given that you feel the need to, all I can ask is that you don't
overstate the difficulty. For a new project that doesn't rely on third-
party libraries that don't support 3.x, supporting 2.6 - 3.x shouldn't be
much harder than (say) supporting 2.3  through 2.5. That is to say, of
course it's hard, but it's always hard to support a range of versions
with different capabilities. The transition to 3.x is no different in
that regard.

--
Steven