Those two controversial 2nd & 3rd paragraphs of my ch 1

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Wed Jan 13 10:42:35 EST 2010

Daniel Fetchinson, 13.01.2010 16:23:
> Also, I would replace
>
> "in practice it’s very hard to create programs"
>
> with
>
> "in practice it’s very hard to create complex programs"
>
> because for small programs it's very possible to write code that will
> work with both python 2 and 3. The question is of course what program
> is simple/small and what program is large/complex, but without
> qualifications your sentence is misleading, I think.

We had the example of Cheetah over in the other thread. Would you say that
Cheetah doesn't qualify as "complex" program? There are also other
examples, like Django. Often enough it's just a couple of cleanups and tiny
try-except blocks in the program header that enables running the program in
both Py2 and Py3, If it's more, it can usually be done using 2to3. So I
would change the above statement into something more like "for some
programs, especially large existing code bases, it can be hard to get the
code to work in both Python 2 and Python 3". Nevertheless, it has been
done, more than once.

Personally, I don't see much value in deliberately trying to keep people
from porting their code to Py3 by producing underqualified statements like
the above.

Stefan