A simple-to-use sound file writer

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Jan 14 19:16:58 CET 2010

Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
> * Steve Holden:
>> Grant Edwards wrote:
>>> On 2010-01-14, Alf P. Steinbach <alfps at start.no> wrote:
>> [bogus hand-waving]
>>> Huh?  I've only studied basic DSP, but I've never heard/seen
>>> that as the basis of digital represention of sound.  I've also
>>> never seen that representation used anywhere.
> Just for the record: Grant has seen that representation numerous times,
> he just didn't recognize it.
>>  Can you provide any references?
>> Of course he can't.  And it isn't the basis of analog quantization.
> Of course it isn't the basis of quantization: it *is* quantization,
> directly.
Nope, quantization is taking the *instantaneous value* of a waveform and
using that as the representation for one sample period. That is nowhere
near the same as summing periodic square waves.

> Which is the basis of digital representation.
Well at least we agree that quantization is the basis of digital
representations. But I've never seen any summed square wave presentation
of it.

>> And I suspect Alf has never hear of Shannon's theorem.
> It's about 30 years since I did that stuff.
Well me too, but information theory is, after all, the theoretical
underpinning for the way I make my living, so I felt obliged to study it
fairly thoroughly.
>> But don't listen to me, apparently I'm full of it.
> You're spouting innuendo and personal attacks, repeatedly, so that seems
> to be the case, yes. :-)
Nothing personal about it. I'm just asking you to corroborate statements
you have made which, in my ignorance, I consider to be bogus hand-waving.

Nothing about you there. Just the information you are promoting. I don't
normally deal in innuendo and personal attacks. Though I do occasionally
get irritated by what I perceive to be hogwash. People who know me will
tell you, if I am wrong I will happily admit it.

PyCon is coming! Atlanta, Feb 2010  http://us.pycon.org/