Author of a Python Success Story Needs a Job!

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Jan 14 23:05:41 EST 2010

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Novocastrian_Nomad <gregory.j.baker at gmail.com> writes:
>> I know whereof I speak, I have been fortunate enough to work remotely
>> (across the country) for the last ten years, for two different employers.
>
> Some like working remotely, others don't.  I had to work remotely for my
> last couple of jobs.  I hated it.  I want to actually see my co-workers
> (not necessarily every single day, but as a normal part of work and not
> something unusual) so that handwaving discussions actually involve
> meaningful waving of the hands.  YMMV.

Speaking as someone who does a lot of remote work, I can honestly say
that for the right opportunity (e.g. the chance to work with a
particularly bright team) I could be persuaded to lower my rate and/or
travel.

The contracts I cherish are the onces that give me the opportunity
(though not usually 100% of working hours) interact through the face
with other professionals. I find local working groups and interest
groups very valuable for this (when I can find time to do it), but I am
probably lucky in spending a lot of time around DC and some round NYC,
both major IT markets.

regards
 Steve
PyCon is coming! Atlanta, Feb 2010  http://us.pycon.org/