A simple-to-use sound file writer

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Fri Jan 15 10:37:17 EST 2010

On 2010-01-15, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:

> I will, however, observe that your definition of a square wave is what I
> would have to call a "'square' wave" (and would prefer to call a "pulse
> train"), as I envisage a square wave as a waveform having a 50% duty
> cycle, as in
>
>  ___     ___
> |   |   |   |
> |   |   |   |
> |   |   |   |
> +---+---+---+---+ and so on ad infinitum, (though I might allow you
>     |   |   |   |                          to adjust the position
>     |   |   |   |                          of y=0 if you want)
>     |___|   |___|

That is a square wave.

> as opposed to your
>
>          _
>         | |
>         | |
>   ______| |______   ______
>                  | |
>                  | |
>                  |_|

That isn't.

Arguing to the contrary is just being Humpty Dumpty...

> Or, best of all, you could show me how to synthesize any
> waveform by adding square waves with a 50% duty cycle.  Then I
> *will* be impressed.

Isn't that what he claimed?  He said that his algorithm for
summing square waves demonstrated the converse of the ability
to construct a periodic function (like a square wave) from a
sine-cosine summation.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! On the road, ZIPPY
                                  at               is a pinhead without a