Using invalid.com email addresses

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 05:10:48 EST 2010

On 01/16/10 19:56, Ben Finney wrote:
> Paul Rubin <no.email at nospam.invalid> writes:
>
>> I'd think whoever registered that domain would have known what they
>> were getting into when they registered it. Same with "example.com" and
>> so forth.
>
> Which doesn't make it any more appropriate to act as though you have
> free rein in a domain registered to someone else.
>
> Especially so as there are domains reserved by RFC 2606 that are *known*
> never to be registered by anyone, and that *are* free for such use.

I would be more inclined to think that whoever registered it, actually
does so he can get those misdirected emails; my suspicion was confirmed
after seeing this on http://www.invalid.com:

===
Hi everybody,

Thank you for all the e-mails you sent to us! I promise to read them as
soon as I can, but please be patient - today there are 292,988 unread
messages in our invalid.com inboxes and I'm all alone at the office.

Maybe you want to buy my domain name and get a couple of thousand
e-mails every month? It's a lot of fun, but I guess you too would feel a
bit exhausted after a while :)

Take care!

Elsa W.

elsa at invalid.com
===

Seeing that, I cannot bring myself to think it's impolite to use it as
/dev/null service (it's still impolite to your reader though). I'm a bit
suspicious of their real motives though, who knows if it's owned by spam
email address collector.

example.com, though, seems to be registered to IANA (Internet Assigned
Numbers Authority).