maintain 2 versions of python on my computer

Gertjan Klein gklein at xs4all.nl
Sat Jan 16 12:03:50 EST 2010

Alf P. Steinbach wrote:

>* Gertjan Klein:
>> Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
>>
>> Thinking about it some more, perhaps that way I can't get at return
>> codes a python script might provide. I haven't used those, but they may
>> be useful at some point.
>
>Return codes work OK no matter what.

Ok, I won't have to worry about that then. ;-)

>But it's a hassle for the user to connect up standard input, standard output and
>standard error for a GUI subsystem process.

Good point. Two executables it is. But out of curiousity, what happens
when a user pipes something into a GUI subsystem executable?

>Perhaps do this in JScript or VBScript (languages bundled with Windows)? There
>may be less startup overhead than with Python. But I haven't checked.

Won't these create a DOS window, always? Or can they run windowless as
well? If so, that might be an option worth exploring as well.

Gertjan.