Confusing, desparate MySQLdb problems...

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sat Jan 16 23:01:40 EST 2010

In article
<5bc2641f-44fc-4324-b299-400ccbc79616 at p8g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
 stopchuckingstuff <stopchuckingstuff at me.com> wrote:
[...]
> This just gets even more confusing!
>
> I used a shebang line:
>
> #!/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/python
>
> which i got from which python in terminal, and now i get this error
> when trying to import MySQLdb:
>
> <type 'exceptions.ImportError'>: No module named pkg_resources
>
> How!? I don't get that error when using that same version of python in
> IDLE...
>
> What's going on?!

Sounds like setuptools is not being found on sys.path.  And, judging
from your earlier post, it appears that sys.path when running under
Apache includes /Library/WebServer/.python-eggs.  Perhaps you need to
ensure setuptools is installed there.  That wouldn't normally be on the
python's sys.path when running from the terminal.

But I realized after my last response that I should have asked how you
were using Python with Apache: presumably with mod_wsgi or, possibly,
mod_python.  In either case, the configurations are more complex and
something I have little experience with so I should probably point you
elsewhere.  For mod_wsgi, Graham Dumpleton offers exemplary thorough
documentation here:

http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/
http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/InstallationOnMacOSX
http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/WhereToGetHelp