chr(12) Form Feed in Notepad

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Jan 17 01:47:23 EST 2010

Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> writes:

> FF still works with a lot of things.  Most ASCII printers still
> honor it, as do pagers and programs like a2ps.  I still use it
> in ASCII text files...

Yes. It's especially useful for making large sectional structure in a
text file — for example, program source code — that can then be easily
navigated “by page” with a text editor like Emacs or Vim.

Since it's a standard white space character by definition, it can go
anywhere that white space can go; and yet it acts to signal structure
within the file.

--
 \          “There's a certain part of the contented majority who love |
  `\            anybody who is worth a billion dollars.” —John Kenneth |