IDLE Namespace Toolbox? Windows.

Chris Rebert clp2 at
Mon Jan 18 00:09:20 CET 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 2:22 PM, W. eWatson <wolftracks at> wrote:
> This is a follow up to my post "Changing Lutz's mydir.  It would seem there
> should be some sort of toolbox that allows one to do things like mydir, and
> perhaps a lot more. Maybe something like it exists in Linux.

Indeed; on *nix, when in the terminal, python invokes the pager[1]
(which splits text into pages and lets you move between them, hence
the name) for documentation that is longer than one screen. Apparently
there are pagers available for Windows, but I don't know whether
Python tries to use them or not.

Perhaps try installing one, setting the PAGER environment variable,
and see what happens when run python from the terminal and invoke
help()? And/or file a bug if Python indeed doesn't try to invoke a
pager on Windows.

Of course, this won't do anything about IDLE's shell, which isn't a
proper terminal.