Is python not good enough?

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 22:54:19 EST 2010

Blog <Blogtes... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you not heard about the "Unladen Swallow" project from google?
> There's a new PEP coming up which will propose google's codebase to be
> merged with Py3k, resulting in superior performance.

This kind of worries me for a number of reasons:
 * unladen is _way_ too immature and unproven a project to replace the
current implementation,
 * Google themselves have stressed they're only concerned with
improvements that benefit their use cases, such that
 * other benchmarks appear to perform _worse_ under unladen, and
 * has the project even posted substantive enough gains to warrant
this change? that didn't seem to be the situation when I last checked
 * so far, the speed improvements have come at a cost of significantly
higher memory use (i believe it was ~10 times that of CPython at one
point)

I dunno, I kinda feel about Unladen Swallow the exact same way I do
about Go: if it wasn't a Google project, I really doubt it would be
getting the attention it is (over the other performance enhancement
projects: cython, psyco2, pypi et al)