The answer

Jive Dadson notontheweb at noisp.com
Sun Jan 17 23:49:41 EST 2010

alex23 wrote:

 > Actually, if you're using Python 2.6+/3.x, you can effectively skip
 > steps 1-5, as these versions now support user site-packages.
 >
 > Rather than create a Module folder and modify your PYTHONPATH, add (if
 > it doesn't exist already) the following folder:
 > %APPDATA%/Python/Python26/site-packages
 >
 > Modules can sit directly in the folder, or within packages.
 >
 > For more details: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0370/

That requires a directory whose name embeds the Python version number,
which is the evil from which I flee, or rather sought to flee.  Imagine
if all your C++ code had to go into directories that were named for some
specific C++ compiler.  It's just WRONG.  It's a maintenance nightmare
to have a bunch of different source files that all have to be updated
whenever you fix a bug or add a feature.