Is python not good enough?

Mon Jan 18 11:37:29 EST 2010

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 03:03:26 -0800, Phlip wrote:

> On Jan 12, 7:09 am, ikuta liu <ikut... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Go language try to merge low level, hight level and browser language.
>
> Go uses := for assignment.
>
> This means, to appease the self-righteous indignation of the math
> professor who would claim = should mean "equality"...
>
> ...you gotta type a shift and 2 characters for a very common operator.

I doubt it has anything to do with "the math professor". Any maths
professor will tell you that, in mathematics, = is used for both
assignment and equality, since in maths they are the same thing.

And besides, equality testing is no less common than assignment. To
appease the "self-righteous indignation of the C coders", we have to type
== instead of = for a very common operator. No matter what convention you
use, you're going to upset some group of people.

Seriously, I programmed in Pascal for many years, and typing := for
assignment is not a burden.

--
Steven