monitor reading file with thread

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon Jan 18 17:11:37 EST 2010

In article <4b47712a$0$1115$4fafbaef at reader4.news.tin.it>,
wiso  <gtu2003 at alice.it> wrote:

>class Reader():
>    def __init__(self,filename):
>        self.filename = filename
>        self.lineno = 0
>    def __iter__(self):
>        f = open(self.filename)
>        for line in f:
>            self.lineno += 1
>            time.sleep(0.01) # slow down
>            yield line
>        f.close()

There's no reason for the sleep.

>class Monitor(threading.Thread):
>    def __init__(self,reader,stop_queue,interval=2):
>        threading.Thread.__init__(self)
>        self.interval = interval
>        self.reader = reader
>        self.stop_queue = stop_queue
>    def run(self):
>        while True:
>            try:
>                if self.stop_queue.get(timeout=self.interval) == "stop":
>                    break
>            except Queue.Empty:
>                pass
>            print "MONITOR: ", reader.lineno

I'd make this simpler, you only need a queue when you're transferring
data between threads:

class Monitor(threading.Thread):
    def __init__(self, reader, interval=2):
        threading.Thread.__init__(self)
        self.interval = interval
        self.reader = reader
        self.stop = False
    def run(self):
        while not self.stop:
            print "MONITOR:", reader.lineno
            time.sleep(self.interval)

...and to stop the monitor, just set m.stop=True.  Note that you have a
bug that needs fixing, I left it for you.  ;-)

until you hire an amateur."  --Red Adair