examining an initial, pristine python3 shell session

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Jan 20 12:59:19 CET 2010

  still working my way through "dive into python 3" and i've already
been asked to give a newbie tutorial on it -- blind leading the blind,
as it were.  that should be hilarious.

  i'll be using python 3 and it occurred to me that it would be
educational (at least for me :-) to display what an initial p3 shell
session looks like before doing any imports whatsoever.  as in, i run
"python3" on my fedora box and, at the ">>>" prompt, i want to show
what's already there for the new user.

  from what little i know so far, i'd start with:

>>> __name__

to display the name of the current scope(?).  backing up a bit, i
could run either of:

>>> dir()
['__builtins__', '__doc__', '__name__', '__package__']
>>> globals()
{'__builtins__': <module 'builtins' (built-in)>, '__name__':
'__main__', '__doc__': None, '__package__': None}

  then i might go a bit further to examine some of *those* objects.  i
admit it might seem a bit dry, but i think it would be handy to have a
handle on what a clean shell session looks like before starting to
import things, then seeing how that importing changes the session
before getting down to actual programming.

  what other useful commands might i run immediately after starting a
session whose output would be informative?  i can certainly poke at
some of those objects to see them in more detail.  i'm just curious
what others might recommend.  thanks.