how to generate random numbers that satisfy certain distribution

Peter Chant peteRE at MpeteOzilla.Vco.ukE
Sat Jan 23 14:17:47 EST 2010

thinke365 wrote:

> such as uniform distribution, Normal distribution or poisson distribution.
> is there any package that can be used to generate such random numbers.

I remeber being told that adding up 12 random numbers in the range 0-1
(which is what most computer random number genertors at the time chucked
out) and subtracted 6 gives a pretty good normal distribution.  I think I
did try it once and it failed, but I must have done something odd.

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk