Splitting text at whitespace but keeping the whitespace in the returned list

python at bdurham.com python at bdurham.com
Sun Jan 24 12:05:36 EST 2010

I need to parse some ASCII text into 'word' sized chunks of text
AND collect the whitespace that seperates the split items. By
'word' I mean any string of characters seperated by whitespace
(newlines, carriage returns, tabs, spaces, soft-spaces, etc).
This means that my split text can contain punctuation and numbers
- just not whitespace.

The split( None ) method works fine for returning the word sized
chunks of text, but destroys the whitespace separators that I
need.

Is there a variation of split() that returns delimiters as well
as tokens?

Thank you,
Malcolm