Broken Python 2.6 installation on Ubuntu Linux 8.04

John Ladasky ladasky at my-deja.com
Mon Jan 25 06:21:42 EST 2010

On Jan 24, 3:52 pm, Christian Heimes <li... at cheimes.de> wrote:

> By the way you mustn't install your own Python with "make install", use
> "make altinstall"! Your /usr/local/bin/python binary masks the original
> python command in /usr/bin. You should remove all /usr/local/bin/py*
> binaries that do not end with 2.6. Otherwise you may and will break
> existing programs on your system.
>
> Christian

Hello Christian,

In my earlier response to Benjamin, I thought I was going to solve
this problem quickly.  Maybe not!  I know for a fact that my Linux
printer management program, HPLIP toolbox, uses wxPython.  And now
HPLIP won't start!

However, my usr/local/bin ONLY contains references to Python 2.6.  So
I think this is a problem with me installing wx... see this other
post...

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.wxwindows/msg/f33e245eb0956067

Sigh.  All this, just so I could use some itertools functions.