ANN: Urwid 0.9.9.1 - Console UI Library

Jean-Michel Pichavant jeanmichel at sequans.com
Mon Jan 25 09:12:11 EST 2010

Ian Ward wrote:
> Announcing Urwid 0.9.9.1
> ------------------------
>
> Urwid home page:
>   http://excess.org/urwid/
>
> Screen shots:
>   http://excess.org/urwid/examples.html
>
> Tarball:
>   http://excess.org/urwid/urwid-0.9.9.1.tar.gz
>

> About this release:
> ===================
>
> This maintenance release fixes a number of bugs including a backwards
> incompatibility introduced in the last release and a poor ListBox
> snapping behaviour.
>

> New in this release:
> ====================
>
>   * Fix for ListBox snapping to selectable widgets taller than the
>     ListBox itself
>
>   * raw_display switching to alternate buffer now works properly with
>     Terminal.app
>
>   * Fix for BoxAdapter backwards incompatibility introduced in 0.9.9
>
>   * Fix for a doctest failure under powerpc
>
>   * Fix for systems with gpm_mev installed but not running gpm
>

> About Urwid
> ===========
>
> Urwid is a console UI library for Python. It features fluid interface
> resizing, UTF-8 support, multiple text layouts, simple attribute markup,
> powerful scrolling list boxes and flexible interface design.
>
> Urwid is released under the GNU LGPL.

I tried to use urwid to provide some friendly interface to some of our
command line tools. It's pretty much effective, but I had difficulties
redirecting stdout/stdin to one of the widget. In fact I don't know how
do it properly, so it's currently broken.

Most of ours tools are written so they log and take input from
stdout/stdin, is there a widget you can use to act as stdin/stdout ?
Google didn't find any receip for that, it would have been great. If it
exists, any code sample would be much appreciated.

Jean-Michel