Total maximal size of data

AlexM anm12345 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 15:21:48 EST 2010

On Jan 25, 2:07 pm, Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 1/25/2010 2:05 PM, Alexander Moibenko wrote:
>
> > I have a simple question to which I could not find an answer.
>
> Because it has no finite answer
>
> > What is the total maximal size of list including size of its elements?
>
> In theory, unbounded. In practice, limited by the memory of the interpreter.
>
> The maximum # of elements depends on the interpreter. Each element can
> be a list whose maximum # of elements ..... and recursively so on...
>
> Terry Jan Reedy

I am not asking about maximum numbers of elements I am asking about
total maximal size of list including size of its elements. In other
words:
if size of each list element is ELEMENT_SIZE and all elements have the
same size what would be the maximal number of these elements in 32 -
bit architecture?
I see 3 GB, and wonder why? Why not 2 GB or not 4 GB?
AlexM
AlexM