python 3's adoption

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Wed Jan 27 21:05:35 CET 2010

On 2010-01-27, Alf P. Steinbach <alfps at> wrote:
> * Steve Holden:
>> Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
>> [...]
>>> The main problem with the incompatibility is for porting code, not for
>>> writing code from scratch. It's also a problem wrt. learning the
>>> language. And I see no good reason for it: print can't really do more,
>>> or less, or more conveniently (rather, one has to write a bit more now
>>> for same effect).
>> Of course it can do more: it allows you to layer your own print
>> functionality into the system much more easily than you could with the
>> print statement.
> Yeah, point. Very minor though. :-)

I don't think it's minor at all.  Being able to globally
redefine the behavior of "print" for all modules is a big win
when you want to import a module that's too chatty about what
it's doing.  The "right" way for modules to chatter about
internals is using the logging module, but not everybody
follows that convention.

Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Four thousand
                                  at               different MAGNATES, MOGULS
                                 & NABOBS are romping in my
                                                   gothic solarium!!