myths about python 3

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Jan 27 16:20:30 EST 2010

John Nagle <nagle at animats.com> writes:

> Myths about Python 3:
>
> 1.  Python 3 is supported by major Linux distributions.
>
> 	FALSE - most distros are shipping with Python 2.4, or 2.5 at
> 	best.

There's a big difference between “What list of versions of Python does
<fooOS> ship with?” versus “Which one version of Python does <fooOS> use
for its implementation of ‘python’?”. I think the latter is the more
pertinent question.

Do you have evidence to back up a claim (not that I'm saying you have
necessarily made the claim; it's not clear from what you wrote) that
most operating systems use Python 2.4 as their implementation of
‘python’?

--
 \      “Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a |
  `\        finite world is either a madman or an economist.” —Kenneth |