myths about python 3

Daniel Fetchinson fetchinson at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 27 18:38:14 EST 2010

>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I was going to write this post for a while because all sorts of myths
>> periodically come up on this list about python 3. I don't think the
>> posters mean to spread false information on purpose, they simply are
>> not aware of the facts.
>>
>> My list is surely incomplete, please feel free to post your favorite
>> misconception about python 3 that people periodically state, claim or
>> ask about.
>
> Myths about Python 3:

I said myths, not facts! :)

s/Myths/Facts/

> 1.  Python 3 is supported by major Linux distributions.
>
> 	FALSE - most distros are shipping with Python 2.4, or 2.5 at best.

This latter statement is false, Fedora 11 and 12 come with python 2.6.

> 2.  Python 3 is supported by multiple Python implementations.
>
> 	FALSE - Only CPython supports 3.x.  Iron Python, Unladen Swallow,
> 	PyPy, and Jython have all stayed with 2.x versions of Python.

This latter statement is false, unladen swallow is currently targeting
3.x and may even be merged into cpython 3.x.

> 3.  Python 3 is supported by most 3rd party Python packages.
>
> 	FALSE - it's not supported by MySQLdb, OpenSSL, feedparser, etc.

s/most/my favorite/

Actually, tons of 3rd party packages are already ported, postgres and
django are just 2 examples, the next release of PIL will be another.

> Arguably, Python 3 has been rejected by the market.  Instead, there's
> now Python 2.6, Python 2.7, and Python 2.8.  Python 3 has turned into
> a debacle like Perl 6, now 10 years old.

These are the kinds of myths I had in mind when starting the thread.
All sorts of BS is kept circulating without any facts to back up the
claims. Actually, in this thread tons of rebuttals can be found to
your statements but I doubt you will change your mind :) Hopefully
others reading all of this will at least see what is BS and what is
the actual situation about python 3.

Cheers,
Daniel