myths about python 3

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Wed Jan 27 21:44:05 EST 2010

Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> writes:
> Kindly confine your debate to the facts and keep the snide remarks to
> yourself. Like it or not Python 3 is the future, and unladen swallow's
> recent announcement that they would target only Python 3 represented a
> ground-breaking advance for the language.

My take on things is that doing unladen swallow really "right" will
require yet more incompatible changes; i.e., the result will either
still leave quite a bit of performance on the table, or else it won't be
compatible with the current specification of Python 3 and they'll
presumably have to call it Python 4.  And if Python 4 is as good as I
believe it could possibly be, then it might get wide acceptance before
Python 3 really has all that much uptake.  If I have to accept
incompatibility anyway, and Python 4 gives huge improvements while
Python 3's improvements are tiny or moderate, why not skip over Python 3?