python 3's adoption

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 22:27:41 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 9:25 AM, Paul Rubin <no.email at nospam.invalid> wrote:

> I don't mind that 3.x is breaking stuff for the sake of improving
> things.  That's the whole idea of 3.x, after all.  What bugs me is that
> the improvements are mostly quite superficial, and the breakage seems
> often gratuitous.  I'd rather see much more drastic changes and
> correspondingly much larger improvements.

At the risk of saying something trivial, that depends on what you
consider superficial or not.  It totally depends on your usage. I know
I would have taken something to improve python packaging (dropping
distutils, stable ABI across the whole 3.x range) over any feature in
py3k.

That's why your real estate comparison is not adequate IMHO - what is
2 % for you is maybe 30 % for someone else, and my own 30 % for
packaging may be 1 % for most people who don't care about C extensions
at all.

David.