myths about python 3

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu Jan 28 11:10:15 EST 2010

In article <Zt68n.3893$pv.1546 at news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
Neil Hodgson  <nyamatongwe+thunder at gmail.com> wrote:
>Carl Banks:
>>
>> There is also no hope someone will fork Python 2.x and continue it in
>> perpetuity.  Well, someone might try to fork it, but they won't be
>> able to call it Python.
>
>   Over time there may be more desire from those unable or unwilling to
>upgrade to 3.x to work on improvements to 2.x, perhaps leading to a
>version 2.8. One of the benefits of open source is that you are not
>trapped into following vendor decisions like Microsoft abandoning
>classic VB in favour of VB.NET.
>
>   It would be unreasonable for the core developers to try to block
>this. Refusing use of the Python trademark for a version that was
>reasonably compatible in both directions would be particularly petty.

Agreed, and as a PSF member, I'd certainly be opposed to anyone trying to
prevent the release of Python 2.8, and I would actively favor providing
PSF and python.org resources to them.  OTOH, I would also be likely to
push anyone working on Python 2.8 to come up with a solid release plan
first.

import antigravity