myths about python 3

Blog Blogtest77 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 13:08:49 EST 2010

On 1/30/2010 11:47 PM, Christian Heimes wrote:
> Blog wrote:
>> WTF? Where'd you hear about version 2.8? FRI, 2.7 is and will be THE
>> LAST version of the 2.x series - "the" End-Of-Life for Python 2
>
> Where do you get your information from? Your answer is the first that
> clearly marks the end of lifetime for the 2.x series. I didn't know that
> and I'm a Python core dev as well as a PSF member ... *scnr*
>
> Christian

Well, here's what the Python 2.7 alpha 2 (January 9th, 2010) release
note says:

"Python 2.7 is scheduled to be the last major version in the 2.x series
before it moves into 5 years of bugfix-only mode. This release contains
many of the features that were first released in Python 3.1..."

Ref: http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.7/

Here are some more resources:

"Python 2 nears end of life"

"Python 2.7, expected to be the last major version of the 2.x series of
the dynamic language, was released as a second alpha earlier month by
the Python Software Foundation, with the final release set for June.

When 2.7 is released, the 2.x line will move into five years of a bug
fix-only mode."

http://www.computerworlduk.com/technology/development/software/news/index.cfm?newsid=18331

"2.7's the end of the line. There was some discussion around the release
of 2.6 as to how far the 2.x series should go, and the conclusion which
came out of it was that 2.7 is it. Beyond this, the world is 3.x (which,
given the time it takes OS distributors to catch up -- most are still on
2.5 -- is about right with the projected time frame for most projects to
port)."

http://www.reddit.com/r/Python/comments/aoloc/python_27_alpha_2_has_been_released/

"Let’s also account for the fact that, as of this writing, Python 2.7
(scheduled for next year) is *intended* to be the End of Life release of
the Python 2.x syntax – Python 3 being the next evolutionary step."

http://jessenoller.com/2009/12/04/pythons-moratorium-lets-think-about-this/

Of course, this isn't written in stone - there may very well be another
version after 2.7. However, at this instant, it does look like 2.7 will
be the veritable last version.

Best regards.