Python and Ruby

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Sun Jan 31 15:47:08 EST 2010

Nobody <nobody at nowhere.com> writes:

> Configurable tab stops in a text editor is one of those "features" that
> differentiates a "coder" from a software engineer. A coder implements it
> because it's easy to implement, without giving a moment's thought to the
> wider context (such as: how to communicate the non-standard tab stops to
> any other program which needs to read the file).

[..]

> 	if(x) {
> 	    if(y)
> 	        foo();
> 	else
> 	    bar();
> 	}
>
> See the problem?

Nope, because a good editor will format this correctly. One written by
software engineers ;-)

> Given that any sane program uses indentation to reflect the program's
> structure, braces (or "begin", or "end" (or endif/endwhile/etc)) are
> redundant.

An editor can correct the indenting of the braces example but can't with
this one.

  if x:
      if y:
         foo()
  else:
      bar()

While braces might be considered redundant they are not when for one
reason or another formatting is lost or done incorrectly.

FWIW: I have no problem with how Python doesn't use braces nor on how
other languages do insist on braces or other structure markers.

--
John Bokma                                                               j3b

Hacking & Hiking in Mexico -  http://johnbokma.com/