I strongly dislike Python 3

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jul 1 01:02:51 EDT 2010

Steven D'Aprano <steve-REMOVE-THIS at cybersource.com.au> writes:

> On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 13:13:53 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
>
> > Steven D'Aprano <steve-REMOVE-THIS at cybersource.com.au> writes:
> >> I suppose in principle those extra three key presses (shift-9
> >> shift-0 vs space) could be the straw that breaks the camel's back,
> >> but I doubt it.
> >
> > There's also Fitt's Law to consider: the space bar is big and
> > easily-placed and hence easy to type in the middle of a stream of
> > other keystrokes. None of that is true for the parens.
>
> This is true, but there's nothing unique to print about that.

Non sequitur. The issue is one of the *difference* being observed (from
Python 2 to Python 3): between the use of spaces versus parens for
delimiting an argument sequence.

Merely counting keystrokes isn't enough, in light of Fitt's Law.

> Personally, I think that the parentheses should be where the square
> brackets are, square brackets should be moved to where curly brackets
> are, and curly brackets moved to shift-9 and shift-0. But I don't care
> enough to remap my keyboard.

Right. I'm much more concerned about the position of my Ctrl key, to
avoid hand injury from all the key chording done as a programmer.

--
 \     “Books and opinions, no matter from whom they came, if they are |
  `\     in opposition to human rights, are nothing but dead letters.” |