python source code -> win/dos executable (on linux)

Bill Davy Bill at SynectixLtd.com
Thu Jul 1 09:13:28 EDT 2010

"Stephen Hansen" <me+list/python at ixokai.io> wrote in message
news:mailman.2344.1277821469.32709.python-list at python.org...
> On 6/29/10 12:27 AM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In message<4c286d71$0$18654$4fafbaef at reader3.news.tin.it>, superpollo
>> wrote:

>>> no, but it *IS* to explain it to dumb users... :-(
>>
>> Can't you create an installation package that specifies Python and all
>> the
>> other necessary dependencies, so the Windows package-management system
>> will
>> automatically pull the right versions in when the user does the
>> installation?
>
> At first, on reading this, I assumed it was sarcastic (and sort of decided
> not to reply, because anti-windows is too easy); but on reading again I'm
> not so sure, you're writing it all out so .. dry. Then again, 'hearing'
> tone in text is hard.
>
> If this isn't sarcastic: windows has no package management system. You
> include every dependency manually (in varying forms) or things don't run.
>
> Windows has a way to track what you install, and the ability to uninstall
> about three fourths of it later. That's it.
>
> --
>
>    ... Stephen Hansen
>    ... Also: Ixokai
>    ... Mail: me+list/python (AT) ixokai (DOT) io
>    ... Blog: http://meh.ixokai.io/

Not that I am a supporter of Windows nor an expert at MSI BUT later versions
of Visual Studio do have a mechanism for building a package.  I know it's
not in VC6, but is in VS.2008.
HTH,
   Bill