Python dynamic attribute creation

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu Jul 1 10:51:11 EDT 2010

In article <mailman.2311.1277759128.32709.python-list at python.org>,
Michael Torrie  <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
>On 06/28/2010 02:31 PM, Aahz wrote:
>> In article <mailman.2300.1277754755.32709.python-list at python.org>,
>> Michael Torrie  <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> True.  But you can't really criticize a language's implementation of OOP
>>> without a good understanding of the "pure" OO language.  For example, in
>>> Smalltalk If/Then statements are actually methods of Boolean objects.
>>> anyway).  Almost functional in nature.  They are not implemented this
>>> way in Python, so that's one thing you could argue is not OO about Python.
>>
>> Python is in no way a pure OOP language.  (I assume you're aware of this,
>> but your phrasing leaves that in doubt.)
>
>My phrasing leaves that in doubt?  How does my example of how Smalltalk
>implements if/then vs how Pyton's implementation leave that in doubt?
>The last sentence alone is very clear.

Actually, it's precisely the last sentence that creates doubt: by saying
"one thing", it's easy for a careless reader to infer that otherwise you
would think that Python is a pure OOP.  <shrug>  Not a big deal, just
thought it deserved clarification.

"If you don't know what your program is supposed to do, you'd better not
start writing it."  --Dijkstra