Solutions for hand injury from computer use

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Thu Jul 1 15:58:07 EDT 2010

On 01Jul2010 19:00, Andreas Waldenburger <usenot at geekmail.INVALID> wrote:
| On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 09:35:31 -0700 Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us>
| wrote:
| > I'll have to give the left-handed mouse a try... hmmm -- not too bad
| > so far.
|
| Since we're on the subject: I find the best solution for "lots of
| typing with a little mousing" to be a keyboard with a pointing stick
| (or track point or nav stick or whatever people call it). I'm not quite
| sure why they haven't become standard issue on keyboards. Shame, is
| what that is.

I like the pointing stick too ("trackpoint" in IBM land), yea, even to
the point of specially buying an IBM trackpoint keyboard several years
ago for our computer room. I used to strongly favour ThinkPads for the
same reason (they are/were decent in other ways too, but it was the
trackpoint that was their killer feature for me).

I've been pushed to a MacBook of late (changed jobs and death/tiredness
of the thinkpads) and am getting by with the touchpad, whcih works
fairly well; I used to always turn touchpads off in the past, so maybe
my stance has changed slightly - I used to brush them all the time,
and many systems doubled up a transient brush as a mouse click:-(
The Mac's click-to-focus model may also be helping me here - my thinkpad
desktop would be UNIX X11 in focus-follows-mouse mode, which is far more
sensitive to trouble from accidental mouse movement.

But yes, the trackpoint _greatly_ reduced my need to move my arms to
reach for a mouse. Loved it.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

"I'm a lawyer."   "Honest?"   "No, the usual kind."