Decorators, with optional arguments

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 16:17:06 EDT 2010

On Jul 2, 10:41 am, Stephen Hansen <me+list/pyt... at ixokai.io> wrote:
> Okay, so!
>
> I actually never quite got around to learning to do deep and useful
> magic with decorators. I've only ever done the most basic things with
> them. Its all been a little fuzzy in my head: things like what order
> decorators end up being called in if there's more then one, etc.
>
> But in my current situation, what I'm wanting to do is have a decorator
> that wraps a function but which takes an *optional* argument, and sets
> that argument as an attribute on said function if its there.
>
> Here's what some tweaking and playing around has gotten me, as a recipe:
>
>      import functools
>
>      def my_decorator(arg):
>          if callable(arg): # Stuck on 2.5. Leavemealone. :)
>              protocol = None
>          else:
>              protocol = arg
>
>          def wrap(fn):
>              print "Wrapping."
>              fn.protocol = protocol
>
>              @functools.wraps(fn)
>              def wrapper(*args, **kwargs):
>                  print "Calling."
>                  result = fn(*args, **kwargs)
>                  print "Called."
>                  return result
>
>              return wrapper
>
>          if not protocol: # argument-less decorator
>              print "Calling wrap."
>              return wrap(arg)
>          else:
>              print "Returning wrap."
>              return wrap
>
> To be used as:
>
>      class Thing(object):
>          @expose
>          def test1(self, arg1):
>              return arg1
>
>          @expose("testing")
>          def test2(self, arg2):
>              return arg2
>
> So, my question: am I doing this right? :) Some play-through testing
> appears to work. But, the dizzying array of nested def's up there leaves
> me a bit dazed, so I'm wondering if there's a simpler way to accomplish
> what I'm trying to do.

I usually recommend to factoring out magic parts into their own little
function, which then invoke the non-magical part in different ways:

     def expose_as(protocol):
         def wrap(fn):
             print "Wrapping."
             fn.protocol = protocol

             @functools.wraps(fn)
             def wrapper(*args, **kwargs):
                 print "Calling."
                 result = fn(*args, **kwargs)
                 print "Called."
                 return result

             return wrapper

         return wrap

     def expose(arg):
         """Magic function to allow omitting argument."""
         if type(arg) is types.FunctionType:
             print "Calling with arg as function"
             return expose_as(None)(arg)
         print "Calling with arg as protocol"
         return expose_as(arg)

I believe it's a good practice to isolate magic so that it's easy to
see, and also to ensure there's a non-magical way to do it if that is
needed.  However, the world won't come to an end if you do it your
way.

Carl Banks