The real problem with Python 3 - no business case for conversion (was "I strongly dislike Python 3")

Fri Jul 2 19:57:51 EDT 2010

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 12:07:33 -0700, John Nagle wrote:

> Where's the business case for moving to Python 3?   It's not faster. It
> doesn't do anything you can't do in Python 2.6.  There's no "killer app"
> for it. End of life for Python 2.x is many years away; most server Linux
> distros aren't even shipping with 2.6 yet. How can a business justify
> spending money on conversion to Python 3?

If you (generic you, not John specifically) can't, then don't. It's as
simple as that. Stick with 2.6, or 2.7, or even 1.5 if that's the version
you're using. A client of mine is still using 2.3. That's okay. It's
allowed. If your business case is best satisfied by staying with 2.x
until the sun burns out, more power to you.

Just don't expect security upgrades (let alone functional upgrades) for
more than a few years. If they are important to you, then *that's* your
business case for upgrading.

But if you're starting a new project, there is no cost of conversion.

--
Steven