The real problem with Python 3 - no business case for conversion (was "I strongly dislike Python 3")

Shashwat Anand anand.shashwat at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 20:22:46 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 5:27 AM, Steven D'Aprano <
steve at remove-this-cybersource.com.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 12:07:33 -0700, John Nagle wrote:
>
> > Where's the business case for moving to Python 3?   It's not faster. It
> > doesn't do anything you can't do in Python 2.6.  There's no "killer app"
> > for it. End of life for Python 2.x is many years away; most server Linux
> > distros aren't even shipping with 2.6 yet. How can a business justify
> > spending money on conversion to Python 3?

The point is python2.7 is the last 2.x version. It will be supported, bugs
will be fixed but no new feature will be added. Core devs will concentrate
on python 3.x. You can still use 2.x, no one is stopping you. But assume
that it is stagnant now. After some time only security related bugs will be
fixed. So if you want to wait by then, it's all your wish.

~l0nwlf