The real problem with Python 3 - no business case for conversion (was "I strongly dislike Python 3")

Sun Jul 4 20:29:32 EDT 2010

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 16:58:04 -0700, John Nagle wrote:

>      The "incompatible with all extension modules I need" part
> is the problem right now.  A good first step would be to identify the
> top 5 or 10 modules that are blocking a move to Python 3 by major
> projects with many users.

Are you volunteering to assist, or just belly-aching?

Migration to Python 3 is occurring at about the speed that should be
expected, modulo the setback that was the seriously flawed 3.0 release.
3.1 should be treated as the "early adopter" version. I would expect 3.3
will probably be the first "mainstream" version, where v3 users start to
outnumber v2 users.

If people have concrete, *specific* issues that are holding them back
from serious plans to migrate to Python 3 then reporting them is a good
first step: e.g. telling the author of extension module Foo that you need
Python 3 compatibility.

Complaining that "extension modules aren't compatible" is just bitching
for the sake of bitching and isn't helpful. Please take it elsewhere.
Start a blog "why I hate Python 3" or something. Or just stick with
Python 2.x forever, without the negativity. There's no law that says you
have to upgrade. There are people still using 1.5, and more power to them.

--
Steven