The real problem with Python 3 - no business case for conversion (was "I strongly dislike Python 3")

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 06:04:35 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 7/4/2010 7:58 PM, John Nagle wrote:
>
>> The "incompatible with all extension modules I need" part
>> is the problem right now. A good first step would be to
>> identify the top 5 or 10 modules that are blocking a move to
>> Python 3 by major projects with many users.
>
> Let me repeat. Last September, if not before, Guido identified numpy as a
> top package blocking moves by other packages and projects. I am not sure
> what he thought, but I consider it number 1. He encouraged the numpy people
> to produce a 3.x version even though some did not see any personal benefit.
> We supposedly will see numpy for 3.2.

I think numpy will work for 3.1 as well (I don't know about 3.0, but
my understanding is that there is no point into even looking at that
release).

With the scipy conferences going on, it will certainly be a good
occasion to synchronize a bit faster - nothing beats face to face as a
communication medium after all :)

David