ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found, SWIG, life, etc

Thomas Jollans thomas at jollans.com
Mon Jul 5 11:01:28 EDT 2010

On 07/05/2010 04:35 PM, Bill Davy wrote:
> I am struggling :-(

smile!

> I have used SWIG to build a module called SHIP.  So I have a directory
> containing SHIP.py and _SHIP.pyd, as follows:
>
> [ ...]
>
> Python appears to find H:\Viper\HostPC\V1\SHIP\Release\_SHIP.pyd but for
> some reason, which I cannot fathom, says "DLL load failed".

Maybe it doesn't mean _SHIP.pyd, but another DLL: maybe _SHIP.pyd
depends on some other DLL? Since you used SWIG, I'm guessing that you're
wrapping some other library. Maybe that's what it can't find.

> Can anyone offer me any suggestion where I am going wrong or how to tackle
> this problem?
>

> Could it be that the Python 2.6 I am running did not use the same compiler
> (VC6) with which I buiult _SHIP.pyd and if so, is there a way round this
> without moving on from VC6?

Shouldn't be a problem, as long as the calling convention hasn't change,
which it hasn't. If you're on a 64-bit system there might be a problem
there with Python and some DLLs being built for different architectures?

Cheers,
Thomas